Together as One

Together as One

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Project 1, Project 2, Project 3

Project 1:
It's been windy here in southwest Florida, temperatures are spectacular, and all of us Floridians are loving it!   The wind, however, is causing my tomato plants to bend way, way down....and I can't have that!  I went out to visit with them one windy day and realized their dilemma was now a crisis.  If we didn't get them tied up soon, their stalks were going to break.  I figured out what needed to be done but am not muscular enough to do the labor.  Just in time my dear husband comes home.  He, of course, has it taken care of in no time.  Now for all you out there that don't have husbands like I do...I'm sorry.  This guy is so good at helping me even when he has to delay what he was working on at the time.  I love him for that!  He also is very particular with everything, so to build a "thing" to tie the tomato plants to required a hammer, screwdriver, nails, screws, boards, saw, and a level.  We measured, cut, hammered, screwed, and yes, leveled, then ta-da..... a nice sturdy "thing" to tie my plants to.
We figured it will be multi-functional.  We can set a sprinkler on top to gently water the garden when needed.  When we have frost warnings we can use it to hold up a tarp to cover the plants.  Ingenious indeed!  :) 
At home, Mom used to occasionally make fried, green tomatoes.  I've been hankering for some of those again.  Mm-m!

This week I picked peas....all six of them!  
Oh, were they good!  KaShondra called home around lunch time that day and asked what I was doing.  
I told her, "I picked peas today."
It sounded good and almost made me feel like I should take a rest or something! ha!  I only planted several plants of them to see how they would do and dear husband and dear oldest daughter 
keep the fresh ones picked AND EATEN for me.


The cauliflour is still going crazy.  
I don't see any heads forming yet but the leaves are humongous. 
 I don't know if this is normal or not.
My parents plan to come a week from tomorrow and then I can 
turn the gardening over to them.  They know so much more 
about this kind of thing than I do.



Project 2:
JR is putting together some cabinetry for closets and storage in the bedroom my parents stay in when they are here.  We found some really nice cabinetry at Lowe's so he spent some time this afternoon putting that together while I worked on:



Project 3:
OK, but only a "sneak peak".
I got some free furniture from a friend of mine.  I have been looking for a chest of drawers for the boys for quite awhile and I have refused to pay $65. for a chest of drawers at Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity.  Seriously!  And I have also refused to pay $99.00 for a cheap chest of drawers from Walmart or Target.  Then along came not one, but four pieces of furniture for free.  JR and I went and picked it up, the boys looked at it and mumbled something like "that is some UGLY furniture" and something else about "not wanting it in their bedroom"!  After telling them how great it could look painted....they wondered about it and me! 
So here is the "sneak peak".  

Before:



Primed and drying:



And:
Sorry, final pics not in yet but put it this way....kids are quite impressed!   Oh yeah!



Project 4:
FLEX.....FLEX....FLEXIBILITY
JR found out this afternoon that his Uncle Vernon from Virginia passed away last evening so he (JR), along with his parents, brother, and sister are making plans to leave tomorrow for the funeral.  Uncle Vernon had alzheimers disease for the past years and had steadily become worse.  Of course, when someone passes on you remember the memories of them.  While I didn't know him real well, we had good times when they would come to visit. His wife, Aunt Frances, isn't well either so JR and his family are looking forward to seeing her and their cousins again.  

Meanwhile, here at home, we rearrange all our scheduled plans for the weekend. 

 We FLEX!  :)






No comments:

Post a Comment